Awareness, Treatment, and Control of Hypertension among 10663 Adults Based on the Baseline Data of the Kherameh Cohort Study
Background: A comprehensive strategy to reduce the complications of hypertension (HTN) should include prevention approaches, such as increasing awareness, early diagnosis, and adequate treatment. The present study aimed to assess awareness, treatment, and control of HTN and their related factors in Kherameh, Iran.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was performed on 10 663 individuals aged between 40 and 70 years using the Kherameh cohort data. HTN was defined as either systolic/diastolic blood pressure ≥140/90 mmHg or taking medications. Logistic regression was used to investigate the relationship between awareness, treatment, and control of HTN and demographic factors, comorbidities, and a family history of diseases.
Results: Out of 10 663 participants, 4719 (44.3%) were men, and the average age of the participants was 51.94±8.27 years. The rates of the prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of HTN were 27.7% (95% CI, 26.86 to 28.54), 80.3% (95% CI, 79.56 to 81.04), 78% (95% CI, 77.22 to 78.78), and 53.6% (95% CI, 52.66 to 54.54), respectively. Age, gender, body mass index, and cardiovascular disease were associated with all the dependent variables in the regression model. Additionally, occupation, diabetes, chronic diseases, a history of cardiovascular disease in first and second-degree relatives and a history of chronic diseases in second-degree relatives were related to all the dependent variables except for treatment.
Conclusion: A high percentage of the patients were aware of their disease, but a smaller proportion were on medication. Consequently, about half the patients had blood pressure below 140/90 mmHg.
2. Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, Vander Hoorn S, Murray CJ; Comparative Risk Assessment Collaborating Group. Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of disease. Lancet 2002;360:1347-1360.
3. Babak A, Motamedi N, Mousavi SZ, Ghasemi Darestani N. Effects of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction on Blood Pressure, Mental Health, and Quality of Life in Hypertensive Adult Women: A Randomized Clinical Trial Study. J Tehran Heart Cent 2022;17:127-133.
4. Tianyi FL, Agbor VN, Njamnshi AK. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in Cameroonians aged 50 years and older: A community-based study. Health Sci Rep 2018;1:e44.
5. Aghaei Meybodi HR, Khashayar P, Rezai Homami M, Heshmat R, Larijani B. Prevalence of hypertension in an Iranian population. Ren Fail 2014;36:87-91.
6. Bahrami H, Sadatsafavi M, Pourshams A, Kamangar F, Nouraei M, Semnani S, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Malekzadeh R. Obesity and hypertension in an Iranian cohort study; Iranian women experience higher rates of obesity and hypertension than American women. BMC Public Health 2006;6:158.
7. Naing C, Yeoh PN, Wai VN, Win NN, Kuan LP, Aung K. Hypertension in Malaysia: An Analysis of Trends From the National Surveys 1996 to 2011. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016;95:e2417.
8. Katulanda P, Ranasinghe P, Jayawardena R, Constantine GR, Rezvi Sheriff MH, Matthews DR. The prevalence, predictors and associations of hypertension in Sri Lanka: a cross-sectional population based national survey. Clin Exp Hypertens 2014;36:484-491.
9. Ataklte F, Erqou S, Kaptoge S, Taye B, Echouffo-Tcheugui JB, Kengne AP. Burden of undiagnosed hypertension in sub-saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hypertension 2015;65:291-298.
10. Chimberengwa PT, Naidoo M; cooperative inquiry group. Knowledge, attitudes and practices related to hypertension among residents of a disadvantaged rural community in southern Zimbabwe. PLoS One 2019;14:e0215500.
11. Saeed AA, Al-Hamdan NA, Bahnassy AA, Abdalla AM, Abbas MA, Abuzaid LZ. Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, and Control of Hypertension among Saudi Adult Population: A National Survey. Int J Hypertens 2011;2011:174135.
12. Wang J, Zhang L, Wang F, Liu L, Wang H; China National Survey of Chronic Kidney Disease Working Group. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in China: results from a national survey. Am J Hypertens 2014;27:1355-1361.
13. Son PT, Quang NN, Viet NL, Khai PG, Wall S, Weinehall L, Bonita R, Byass P. Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in Vietnam-results from a national survey. J Hum Hypertens 2012;26:268-280.
14. Gandomkar A, Poustchi H, Malekzadeh F, Malekzadeh MM, Moini M, Moghadami M, Imanieh H, Fattahi MR, Sagheb MM, Ayatollahi SMT, Sepanlou SG, Malekzadeh R. Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, Control, and Correlates of Hypertension in the Pars Cohort Study. Arch Iran Med 2018;21:335-343.
15. Oraii A, Shafiee A, Jalali A, Alaeddini F, Saadat S, Sadeghian S, Poorhosseini H, Boroumand M, Karimi A, Franco OH. Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, and Control of Hypertension among Adult Residents of Tehran: The Tehran Cohort Study. Glob Heart 2022;17:31.
16. Sohrabi M, Karami M, Mirmoeini RS, Cheraghi Z. The Relationship between Health Literacy and Hypertension Control: A Cross-Sectional Study. J Tehran Heart Cent 2022;17:243-248.
17. Karmakar N, Nag K, Saha I, Parthasarathi R, Patra M, Sinha R. Awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension among adult population in a rural community of Singur block, Hooghly District, West Bengal. J Educ Health Promot 2018;7:134.
18. Poustchi H, Eghtesad S, Kamangar F, Etemadi A, Keshtkar AA, Hekmatdoost A, Mohammadi Z, Mahmoudi Z, Shayanrad A, Roozafzai F, Sheikh M, Jalaeikhoo A, Somi MH, Mansour-Ghanaei F, Najafi F, Bahramali E, Mehrparvar A, Ansari-Moghaddam A, Enayati AA, Esmaeili Nadimi A, Rezaianzadeh A, Saki N, Alipour F, Kelishadi R, Rahimi-Movaghar A, Aminisani N, Boffetta P, Malekzadeh R. Prospective Epidemiological Research Studies in Iran (the PERSIAN Cohort Study): Rationale, Objectives, and Design. Am J Epidemiol 2018;187:647-655.
19. Williams B, Mancia G, Spiering W, Agabiti Rosei E, Azizi M, Burnier M, Clement DL, Coca A, de Simone G, Dominiczak A, Kahan T, Mahfoud F, Redon J, Ruilope L, Zanchetti A, Kerins M, Kjeldsen SE, Kreutz R, Laurent S, Lip GYH, McManus R, Narkiewicz K, Ruschitzka F, Schmieder RE, Shlyakhto E, Tsioufis C, Aboyans V, Desormais I; Authors/Task Force Members:. 2018 ESC/ESH Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: The Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology and the European Society of Hypertension: The Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology and the European Society of Hypertension. J Hypertens 2018;36:1953-2041.
20. Gupta R, Deedwania PC, Achari V, Bhansali A, Gupta BK, Gupta A, Mahanta TG, Asirvatham AJ, Gupta S, Maheshwari A, Saboo B, Jali MV, Singh J, Guptha S, Sharma KK. Normotension, prehypertension, and hypertension in urban middle-class subjects in India: prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control. Am J Hypertens 2013;26:83-94.
21. Rezaianzadeh A, Jafari F, Sadeghi SE, Rahimikazerooni S. The prevalence and predictors of pre-hypertension and hypertension in Kherameh cohort study: a population based study on 10,663 persons in south of Iran. J Hum Hypertens 2021;35:257-264.
22. Forouzanfar MH, Sepanlou SG, Shahraz S, Dicker D, Naghavi P, Pourmalek F, Mokdad A, Lozano R, Vos T, Asadi-Lari M, Sayyari AA, Murray CJ, Naghavi M. Evaluating causes of death and morbidity in Iran, global burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors study 2010. Arch Iran Med 2014;17:304-320.
23. Naghavi M, Shahraz S, Sepanlou SG, Dicker D, Naghavi P, Pourmalek F, Mokdad A, Lozano R, Vos T, Asadi-Lari M, Sayyari AA, Murray CJ, Forouzanfar MH. Health transition in Iran toward chronic diseases based on results of Global Burden of Disease 2010. Arch Iran Med 2014;17:321-335.
24. Malekzadeh MM, Etemadi A, Kamangar F, Khademi H, Golozar A, Islami F, Pourshams A, Poustchi H, Navabakhsh B, Naemi M, Pharoah PD, Abnet CC, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Dawsey SM, Esteghamati A, Malekzadeh R. Prevalence, awareness and risk factors of hypertension in a large cohort of Iranian adult population. J Hypertens 2013;31:1364-1371.
25. Li W, Gu H, Teo KK, Bo J, Wang Y, Yang J, Wang X, Zhang H, Sun Y, Jia X, He X, Zhao X, Cheng X, Li J, Rangarajan S, Chen C, Yusuf S, Liu L; PURE China Investigators. Hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control in 115 rural and urban communities involving 47 000 people from China. J Hypertens 2016;34:39-46.
26. Wang L, Li N, Heizhati M, Abulikemu S, Zhang D, Luo Q, Zhou L, Hong J, Hu J, Cai L, Zhao X, Sun L, Shao L. Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, Control, and Related Factors of Hypertension among Tajik Nomads Living in Pamirs at High Altitude. Int J Hypertens 2020;2020:5406485.
27. Pakzad B, Akbari M, Baberi F. Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, and Control of Hypertension in an Isfahan State Institution Sample. J Tehran Heart Cent 2018;13:65-72.
28. Muli S, Meisinger C, Heier M, Thorand B, Peters A, Amann U. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in older people: results from the population-based KORA-age 1 study. BMC Public Health 2020;20:1049.
29. Devkota S, Dhungana RR, Pandey AR, Bista B, Panthi S, Thakur KK, Gajurel RM. Barriers to Treatment and Control of Hypertension among Hypertensive Participants: A Community-Based Cross-sectional Mixed Method Study in Municipalities of Kathmandu, Nepal. Front Cardiovasc Med 2016;3:26.
30. Sanuade OA, Boatemaa S, Kushitor MK. Hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment and control in Ghanaian population: Evidence from the Ghana demographic and health survey. PLoS One 2018;13:e0205985.
31. Jenson A, Omar AL, Omar MA, Rishad AS, Khoshnood K. Assessment of hypertension control in a district of Mombasa, Kenya. Glob Public Health 2011;6:293-306.
32. Khanal MK, Dhungana RR, Bhandari P, Gurung Y, Paudel KN. Prevalence, associated factors, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension: Findings from a cross sectional study conducted as a part of a community based intervention trial in Surkhet, Mid-western region of Nepal. PLoS One 2017;12:e0185806.
33. Nouraei Motlagh S, Sabermahani A, Hadian M, Lari MA, Mahdavi MR, Abolghasem Gorji H. Factors Affecting Health Care Utilization in Tehran. Glob J Health Sci 2015;7:240-249.
34. Rajati F, Hamzeh B, Pasdar Y, Safari R, Moradinazar M, Shakiba E, Bazargan-Hejazi S, Karim H, Najafi F. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension and their determinants: Results from the first cohort of non-communicable diseases in a Kurdish settlement. Sci Rep 2019;9:12409.
35. O'Rourke M. Arterial stiffness, systolic blood pressure, and logical treatment of arterial hypertension. Hypertension 1990;15:339-347.
36. Zhang FL, Guo ZN, Xing YQ, Wu YH, Liu HY, Yang Y. Hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control in northeast China: a population-based cross-sectional survey. J Hum Hypertens 2017;32:54-65.
37. Lv X, Niu H, Qu Y, Li M, Li L, Ma X, Jiang S, Gao C, Wang R, Zhang P, Li B. Awareness, treatment and control of hypertension among hypertensive patients aged 18 to 59 years old in the northeast of China. Sci Rep 2018;8:17019.
38. Yang L, Yan J, Tang X, Xu X, Yu W, Wu H. Prevalence, Awareness, Treatment, Control and Risk Factors Associated with Hypertension among Adults in Southern China, 2013. PLoS One 2016;11:e0146181.
39. Tian S, Dong GH, Wang D, Liu MM, Lin Q, Meng XJ, Xu LX, Hou H, Ren YF. Factors associated with prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in urban adults from 33 communities in China: the CHPSNE Study. Hypertens Res 2011;34:1087-1092.
|Issue||Vol 18 No 2 (2023): J Teh Univ Heart Ctr|
|Awareness Hypertension Treatment Iran|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|