Bloody Pericardial Effusion with a Huge Pericardial Mass: A Case Report
Nowadays, the early diagnosis of tumoral diseases is more possible and accurate with multiple diagnostic imaging modalities such as chest X-ray, echocardiography, computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging, especially for cardiac tumors which are usually asymptomatic, even in large sizes. In cardiac masses, the patients’ presentations are non- specific and dependent on the tumor size and site as well as its compressive effect on the adjacent structures. On the other hand, the first and last signs could be sudden cardiac death. However, cardiac masses are either benign or malignant and metastatic in their malignant type, and their definite diagnosis is only possible by surgical tumor resection and tissue biopsy. In this paper, we describe an old patient with severe pericardial effusion and an unusual intrapericardial tumor in transthoracic echocardiography, representing a rare case of a giant ectopic thymoma after surgical resection and pathologic assessment.
2. Weissferdt A, Moran CA. The spectrum of ectopic thymomas. Virchows Arch 2016;469:245-254.
3. Arai H, Rino Y, Fushimi K, Goda M, Yoshioka E, Okudela K, Yukawa N, Masuda M. Pericardial ectopic thymoma presenting with cardiac tamponade: report of a case. Surg Today 2015;45:1200-1204.
4. Grebenc ML, Rosado de Christenson ML, Burke AP, Green CE, Galvin JR. Primary cardiac and pericardial neoplasms: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics 2000;20:1073-1103.
5. Reynen K. Frequency of primary tumors of the heart. Am J Cardiol 1996;77:107.
6. Rajiah P, Kanne JP, Kalahasti V, Schoenhagen P. Computed tomography of cardiac and pericardiac masses. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2011;5:16-29.
7. Syed IS, Feng D, Harris SR, Martinez MW, Misselt AJ, Breen JF, Miller DV, Araoz PA. MR imaging of cardiac masses. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2008;16:137-164.
8. Randhawa K, Ganeshan A, Hoey ET. Magnetic resonance imaging of cardiac tumors: part 1, sequences, protocols, and benign tumors. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 2011;40:158-168.
9. Burke A, Tavora F. The 2015 WHO classification of tumors of the heart and pericardium. J Thorac Oncol 2016;11:441-452.
10. Lestuzzi C, Berretta M, Tomkowski W. 2015 update on the diagnosis and management of neoplastic pericardial disease. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2015;13:377-389.
11. Mankad R, Herrmann J. Cardiac tumors: echo assessment. Echo Res Pract 2016;3:R65-R77.
12. Zaragoza-Macias E, Chen MA, Gill EA. Real time three-dimensional echocardiography evaluation of intracardiac masses. Echocardiography 2012;29:207-219.
13. Kassop D, Donovan MS, Cheezum MK, Nguyen BT, Gambill NB, Blankstein R, Villines TC. Cardiac masses on cardiac CT: a review. Curr Cardiovasc Imaging Rep 2014;7:9281.
Copyright (c) 2020 The Journal of Tehran University Heart Center
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.