Large Tricuspid Valve Myxoma in an Asymptomatic Patient with Uterine Myoma: An Uncommon Case
Tricuspid valve myxomas are very uncommon tumors that could be found after the occurrence of pulmonary thromboembolism, symptomatic tricuspid obstruction, and right-sided heart failure. Herein, we describe a 42-year-old woman evaluated for an abdominal mass. In preoperative consultation, a tricuspid valve mass was detected in echocardiography. She underwent the removal of a benign uterine myoma and a myxoma of the tricuspid valve. Tricuspid valve myxomas constitute a scarce diagnosis. They could be asymptomatic, occurring in unusual locations and in association with benign tumors in other organs. Our patient was asymptomatic, underscoring the significance of the early diagnosis of this type of tumor to prevent further catastrophic events.
2. Gopalakrishnaiah Gupta K, Reddy DJ, Sakuntala Devi P, Suryaprakasa Rao T, Venkaiah KR, Venkataswamy Naidu N. Congenital myxoma of the heart. Indian J Pediatr 1956;23:210-212.
3. Xiao ZH, Hu J, Zhu D, Shi YK, Zhang EY. Tricuspid valve obstruction and right heart failure due to a giant right atrial myxoma arising from the superior vena cava. J Cardiothorac Surg 2013;8:200.
4. Vizzardi E, D'Aloia A, Chiari E, Nardi M, Zanini G, Cabras R, Faden G, Maiandi C, Cas LD. Tricuspid valve myxoma in a patient with congestive heart failure. Cases J 2010;3:21.
5. Kim DH, Yi JE, In HJ, Jeong M, Kim MS, Lee JS, Lee JH, Kang B, Jung HO, Youn HJ. Asymptomatic myxoma originating from the right ventricular outflow tract. J Cardiovasc Ultrasound 2013;21:186-188.
6. Yuan SM, Shinfeld A, Raanani E. Tricuspid valve myxoma: a case report and a collective review of the literature. J Card Surg. 2009;24:69-72.
7. Cho SH, Shim MS, Kim WS. The right ventricular myxoma which attached to the tricuspid valve: sliding tricuspid valvuloplasty. Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015;48:228-230.
8. Mustafa ER, Tudoraşcu DR, Giucă A, Toader DM, Foarfă MC, Puiu I, Istrate-Ofiţeru AM. A rare cause of ischemic stroke: cardiac myxoma. Case report and review of literature. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2018;59:903-909.
9. Wang H, Li Q, Xue M, Zhao P, Cui J. Cardiac myxoma: a rare case series of 3 patients and a literature review. J Ultrasound Med 2017;36:2361-2366.
10. Chitwood WR, Jr. Cardiac neoplasms: current diagnosis, pathology, and therapy. J Card Surg 1988;3:119-154.
11. Aoyagi S, Tayama E, Yokokura Y, Yokokura H. Right atrial myxoma in a patient presenting with syncope. Kurume Med J 2004;51:91-93.
12. Glazer M, Kioschos JM, Kroetz FW, Lawrence MS, Korns ME. Simulation of right atrial myxoma by metastatic leiomyosarcoma. Cancer 1971;27:238-241.
13. Tamburino C, Russo G, Incognito C, Battaglia G, Monaca V, Lomeo A, Abbate M. Intracardiac extension of a calcified ovarian hemangioma--a case report. Angiology 1992;43:249-252.
14. Lang RM, Borow KM, Neumann A. Metastatic carcinoma involving the left atrium. Am Heart J 1985;110:884–886.
15. Kaszar-Seibert DJ, Gauvin GP, Rogoff PA, Vittimberga FJ, Margolis S, Hilgenberg AD, Saal DK, Goldsmith GO. Intracardiac extension of intravenous leiomyomatosis. Radiology 1988;168:409-410.
16. Clement PB. Intravenous leiomyomatosis of the uterus. Pathol Annu 1988;23:153-183.
17. Abaid LN, Epstein HD, Chang M, Kankus R, Goldstein BH. Endometrial adenocarcinoma with concomitant left atrial myxoma. Case Rep Oncol 2009;2:150-156.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 2 (2021): J Teh Univ Heart Ctr|
|Tricuspid valve Myoma Uterine myomectomy Echocardiography|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|