The Role of Left Atrial Strain in Detecting Left Ventricular Diastolic Dysfunction: Comparison between the 2009 and 2016 Recommendations
Background: The frequency of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction (DD) is overestimated by earlier recommendations. We compared the 2009 and 2016 guidelines regarding the detection of DD and explored the potential of adding left atrial (LA) strain to the current guideline.
Methods: Consecutive patients with heart failure were enrolled. All the patients were examined using 2-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography (2D-STE) and tissue Doppler imaging. DD was evaluated in terms of E/eʹ, eʹ velocity, E, A, tricuspid regurgitation velocity, LA volume, and LA strain.
Results: This study evaluated 147 patients (101 males, 68.7%) at a mean age of 54.73±14.42 years. LA strain decreased with increasing grades of DD in both guidelines. The rate of reclassification between the 2 guidelines was 41%. The detection rate of normal diastolic function increased after the implementation of the 2016 guideline. LA strain discriminated individuals with normal diastolic function from those with DD more accurately than did LA volume index (area under the curve [AUC] =0.816 vs AUC=0.759, respectively). When LA strain <23% was incorporated into the 2016 guideline, 2 out of 4 patients with indeterminate diastolic function were reclassified as normal and 2 patients as grade I DD. The rate of reclassification was 4.1% after the addition of LA strain to the current guideline (κ=0.939, P<0.001).
Conclusion: This study showed that the current guideline detected lower rates of DD than did the earlier recommendations. Furthermore, the incorporation of LA strain into the current guideline resulted in lower rates of indeterminate diastolic function.
2. Nagueh SF, Smiseth OA, Appleton CP, Byrd BF, 3rd, Dokainish H, Edvardsen T, Flachskampf FA, Gillebert TC, Klein AL, Lancellotti P, Marino P, Oh JK, Alexandru Popescu B, Waggoner AD. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016;17:1321-1360.
3. Nagueh SF, Appleton CP, Gillebert TC, Marino PN, Oh JK, Smiseth OA, Waggoner AD, Flachskampf FA, Pellikka PA, Evangelista A. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009;22:107-133.
4. Balaney B, Medvedofsky D, Mediratta A, Singh A, Ciszek B, Kruse E, Shah AP, Addetia K, Lang RM, Mor-Avi V. Invasive validation of the echocardiographic assessment of left ventricular filling pressures using the 2016 diastolic guidelines: head-to-head comparison with the 2009 guidelines. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2018;31:79-88.
5. Blume GG, Mcleod CJ, Barnes ME, Seward JB, Pellikka PA, Bastiansen PM, Tsang TS. Left atrial function: physiology, assessment, and clinical implications. Eur J Echocardiogr 2011;12:421-430.
6. Hoit BD. Left atrial size and function: role in prognosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014;63:493-505.
7. Kurt M, Wang J, Torre-Amione G, Nagueh SF. Left atrial function in diastolic heart failure. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2009;2:10-15.
8. Cameli M, Caputo M, Mondillo S, Ballo P, Palmerini E, Lisi M, Marino E, Galderisi M. Feasibility and reference values of left atrial longitudinal strain imaging by two-dimensional speckle tracking. Cardiovasc Ultrasound 2009;7:6.
9. Ojaghi Haghighi Z, Naderi N, Amin A, Taghavi S, Sadeghi M, Moladoust H, Maleki M, Ojaghi Haghighi H. Quantitative assessment of right atrial function by strain and strain rate imaging in patients with heart failure. Acta Cardiol 2011;66:737-742.
10. Brecht A, Oertelt-Prigione S, Seeland U, Rücke M, Hättasch R, Wagelöhner T, Regitz-Zagrosek V, Baumann G, Knebel F, Stangl V. Left atrial function in preclinical diastolic dysfunction: two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography-derived results from the BEFRI Trial. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016;29:750-758.
11. Lang RM, Badano LP, Mor-Avi V, Afilalo J, Armstrong A, Ernande L, Flachskampf FA, Foster E, Goldstein SA, Kuznetsova T, Lancellotti P, Muraru D, Picard MH, Rietzschel ER, Rudski L, Spencer KT, Tsang W, Voigt JU. Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2015;28:1-39.e14.
12. Bursi F, Weston SA, Redfield MM, Jacobsen SJ, Pakhomov S, Nkomo VT, Meverden RA, Roger VL. Systolic and diastolic heart failure in the community. JAMA 2006;296:2209-2216.
13. Wang JN, Biering-Sørensen T, Jørgensen PG, Jensen JS, Mogelvang R. Left ventricular filling pressure by septal and lateral E/e' equally predict cardiovascular events in the general population. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2017;33:653-661.
14. Morris DA, Takeuchi M, Krisper M, Köhncke C, Bekfani T, Carstensen T, Hassfeld S, Dorenkamp M, Otani K, Takigiku K, Izumi C, Yuda S, Sakata K, Ohte N, Tanabe K, Osmanoglou E, Kühnle Y, Düngen HD, Nakatani S, Otsuji Y, Haverkamp W, Boldt LH. Normal values and clinical relevance of left atrial myocardial function analysed by speckle-tracking echocardiography: multicentre study. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2015;16:364-372.
15. Andersen OS, Smiseth OA, Dokainish H, Abudiab MM, Schutt RC, Kumar A, Sato K, Harb S, Gude E, Remme EW, Andreassen AK, Ha JW, Xu J, Klein AL, Nagueh SF. Estimating left ventricular filling pressure by echocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017;69:1937-1948.
16. Lancellotti P, Galderisi M, Edvardsen T, Donal E, Goliasch G, Cardim N, Magne J, Laginha S, Hagendorff A, Haland TF, Aaberge L, Martinez C, Rapacciuolo A, Santoro C, Ilardi F, Postolache A, Dulgheru R, Mateescu AD, Beladan CC, Deleanu D, Marchetta S, Auffret V, Schwammenthal E, Habib G, Popescu BA. Echo-Doppler estimation of left ventricular filling pressure: results of the multicentre EACVI Euro-Filling study. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2017;18:961-968.
17. Huttin O, Fraser AG, Coiro S, Bozec E, Selton-Suty C, Lamiral Z, Frikha Z, Rossignol P, Zannad F, Girerd N. Impact of changes in consensus diagnostic recommendations on the echocardiographic prevalence of diastolic dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017;69:3119-3121.
18. Almeida JG, Fontes-Carvalho R, Sampaio F, Ribeiro J, Bettencourt P, Flachskampf FA, Leite-Moreira A, Azevedo A. Impact of the 2016 ASE/EACVI recommendations on the prevalence of diastolic dysfunction in the general population. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018;19:380-386.
19. Sanchis L, Andrea R, Falces C, Poyatos S, Vidal B, Sitges M. Differential clinical implications of current recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2018;31:1203-1208.
20. Melenovsky V, Hwang SJ, Redfield MM, Zakeri R, Lin G, Borlaug BA. Left atrial remodeling and function in advanced heart failure with preserved or reduced ejection fraction. Circ Heart Fail 2015;8:295-303.
21. Miyoshi H, Oishi Y, Mizuguchi Y, Iuchi A, Nagase N, Ara N, Oki T. Association of left atrial reservoir function with left atrial structural remodeling related to left ventricular dysfunction in asymptomatic patients with hypertension: evaluation by two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography. Clin Exp Hypertens 2015;37:155-165.
22. Vianna-Pinton R, Moreno CA, Baxter CM, Lee KS, Tsang TS, Appleton CP. Two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography of the left atrium: feasibility and regional contraction and relaxation differences in normal subjects. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009;22:299-305.
23. Welles CC, Ku IA, Kwan DM, Whooley MA, Schiller NB, Turakhia MP. Left atrial function predicts heart failure hospitalization in subjects with preserved ejection fraction and coronary heart disease: longitudinal data from the Heart and Soul Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;59:673-680.
24. Santos AB, Kraigher-Krainer E, Gupta DK, Claggett B, Zile MR, Pieske B, Voors AA, Lefkowitz M, Bransford T, Shi V, Packer M, McMurray JJ, Shah AM, Solomon SD; PARAMOUNT Investigators. Impaired left atrial function in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Eur J Heart Fail 2014;16:1096-1103.
25. Russo C, Jin Z, Homma S, Rundek T, Elkind MS, Sacco RL, Di Tullio MR. Left atrial minimum volume and reservoir function as correlates of left ventricular diastolic function: impact of left ventricular systolic function. Heart 2012;98:813-820.
26. Singh A, Addetia K, Maffessanti F, Mor-Avi V, Lang RM. LA Strain for Categorization of LV Diastolic Dysfunction. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2017;10:735-743.
27. Morris DA, Belyavskiy E, Aravind-Kumar R, Kropf M, Frydas A, Braunauer K, Marquez E, Krisper M, Lindhorst R, Osmanoglou E, Boldt LH, Blaschke F, Haverkamp W, Tschöpe C, Edelmann F, Pieske B, Pieske-Kraigher E. Potential usefulness and clinical relevance of adding left atrial strain to left atrial volume index in the detection of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2018;11:1405-1415.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 2 (2021): J Teh Univ Heart Ctr|
|Heart failure Heart failure; diastolic Heart Atria Echocardiography|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|