The Association between the PRECISE-DAPT Score and New-Onset Atrial Fibrillation in Patients with ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction
Background: Atrial fibrillation (AF) is associated with increased morbidity in myocardial infarction (MI), especially thromboembolic risk increases. The PRECISE-DAPT (The PREdicting bleeding Complications In patients undergoing Stent implantation and subsEquent Dual Anti-Platelet Therapy) score was created to predict the bleeding risk of dual antiplatelet therapy. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the association between new-onset AF and the PRECISE-DAPT score in ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI).
Methods: This retrospective study enrolled patients who developed STEMI within 12 hours of the onset of symptoms and underwent primary percutaneous coronary intervention. The study population was divided into 2 groups of PRECISE-DAPT scores of 25 or greater and PRECISE-DAPT scores of below 25 and their baseline characteristics, as well as laboratory and echocardiography results, were compared. In-hospital new AF and related events were compared between the 2 PRECISE-DAPT score groups.
Results: From February 2015 to December 2017, this study enrolled 2234 patients with STEMI at a mean age of 54.4 years. The new-onset AF incidence rate was higher in the higher PRECISE-DAPT group than in the lower PRECISE-DAPT group (62 [28.7 %] vs 58 [2.9%]; P<0.001). According to the multivariate logistic regression analysis, the factors associated with new-onset AF were the left atrial diameter (OR =1.98, 95% confidence interval= 1.34–2.93; P=0.001) and the PRECISE-DAPT score (OR =1.04, 95% confidence interval= 1.10–1.18; P<0.001).
Conclusion: The PRECISE-DAPT score was associated with the development of new-onset AF in our patients with STEMI. Further follow-up of these patients will provide clearer information.
2. Kundu A, O'Day K, Shaikh AY, Lessard DM, Saczynski JS, Yarzebski J, Darling CE, Thabet R, Akhter MW, Floyd KC, Goldberg RJ, McManus DD. Relation of atrial fibrillation in acute myocardial infarction to in-hospital complications and early hospital readmission. Am J Cardiol 2016;117:1213-1218.
3. Ibanez B, James S, Agewall S, Antunes MJ, Bucciarelli-Ducci C, Bueno H, Caforio ALP, Crea F, Goudevenos JA, Halvorsen S, Hindricks G, Kastrati A, Lenzen MJ, Prescott E, Roffi M, Valgimigli M, Varenhorst C, Vranckx P, Widimský P; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation: The Task Force for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2018;39:119-177.
4. Valgimigli M, Bueno H, Byrne RA, Collet JP, Costa F, Jeppsson A, Jüni P, Kastrati A, Kolh P, Mauri L, Montalescot G, Neumann FJ, Petricevic M, Roffi M, Steg PG, Windecker S, Zamorano JL, Levine GN; ESC Scientific Document Group; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); ESC National Cardiac Societies. 2017 ESC focused update on dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease developed in collaboration with EACTS: The Task Force for dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur Heart J 2018;39:213-260.
5. Sørensen R, Hansen ML, Abildstrom SZ, Hvelplund A, Andersson C, Jørgensen C, Madsen JK, Hansen PR, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, Gislason GH. Risk of bleeding in patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with different combinations of aspirin, clopidogrel, and vitamin K antagonists in Denmark: a retrospective analysis of nationwide registry data. Lancet 2009;374:1967-1974.
6. Hansen ML, Sørensen R, Clausen MT, Fog-Petersen ML, Raunsø J, Gadsbøll N, Gislason GH, Folke F, Andersen SS, Schramm TK, Abildstrøm SZ, Poulsen HE, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C. Risk of bleeding with single, dual, or triple therapy with warfarin, aspirin, and clopidogrel in patients with atrial fibrillation. Arch Intern Med 2010;170:1433-1441.
7. Tanik VO, Cinar T, Arugaslan E, Karabag Y, Hayiroglu MI, Cagdas M, Rencuzogullari I, Uluganyan M. The predictive value of PRECISE-DAPT score for in-hospital mortality in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Angiology 2019;70:440-447.
8. Çınar T, Tanık VO, Aruğaslan E, Karabağ Y, Çağdaş M, Rencüzoğulları İ, Keskin M. The association of PRECISE-DAPT score with development of contrast-induced nephropathy in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Cardiovasc Interv Ther 2019;34:207-215.
9. Thygesen K, Alpert JS, Jaffe AS, Simoons ML, Chaitman BR, White HD; Writing Group on the Joint ESC/ACCF/AHA/WHF Task Force for the Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction, Thygesen K, Alpert JS, White HD, Jaffe AS, Katus HA, Apple FS, Lindahl B, Morrow DA, Chaitman BA, Clemmensen PM, Johanson P, Hod H, Underwood R, Bax JJ, Bonow RO, Pinto F, Gibbons RJ, Fox KA, Atar D, Newby LK, Galvani M, Hamm CW, Uretsky BF, Steg PG, Wijns W, Bassand JP, Menasché P, Ravkilde J, Ohman EM, Antman EM, Wallentin LC, Armstrong PW, Simoons ML, Januzzi JL, Nieminen MS, Gheorghiade M, Filippatos G, Luepker RV, Fortmann SP, Rosamond WD, Levy D, Wood D, Smith SC, Hu D, Lopez-Sendon JL, Robertson RM, Weaver D, Tendera M, Bove AA, Parkhomenko AN, Vasilieva EJ, Mendis S; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG). Third universal definition of myocardial infarction. Eur Heart J 2012;33:2551-2567.
10. Costa F, van Klaveren D, James S, Heg D, Räber L, Feres F, Pilgrim T, Hong MK, Kim HS, Colombo A, Steg PG, Zanchin T, Palmerini T, Wallentin L, Bhatt DL, Stone GW, Windecker S, Steyerberg EW, Valgimigli M; PRECISE-DAPT Study Investigators. Derivation and validation of the predicting bleeding complications in patients undergoing stent implantation and subsequent dual antiplatelet therapy (PRECISE-DAPT) score: a pooled analysis of individual-patient datasets from clinical trials. Lancet 2017;389:1025-1034.
11. Lip GY, Nieuwlaat R, Pisters R, Lane DA, Crijns HJ. Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation. Chest 2010;137:263-272.
12. Mancia G, Fagard R, Narkiewicz K, Redon J, Zanchetti A, Böhm M, Christiaens T, Cifkova R, De Backer G, Dominiczak A, Galderisi M, Grobbee DE, Jaarsma T, Kirchhof P, Kjeldsen SE, Laurent S, Manolis AJ, Nilsson PM, Ruilope LM, Schmieder RE, Sirnes PA, Sleight P, Viigimaa M, Waeber B, Zannad F, Redon J, Dominiczak A, Narkiewicz K, Nilsson PM, Burnier M, Viigimaa M, Ambrosioni E, Caufield M, Coca A, Olsen MH, Schmieder RE, Tsioufis C, van de Borne P, Zamorano JL, Achenbach S, Baumgartner H, Bax JJ, Bueno H, Dean V, Deaton C, Erol C, Fagard R, Ferrari R, Hasdai D, Hoes AW, Kirchhof P, Knuuti J, Kolh P, Lancellotti P, Linhart A, Nihoyannopoulos P, Piepoli MF, Ponikowski P, Sirnes PA, Tamargo JL, Tendera M, Torbicki A, Wijns W, Windecker S, Clement DL, Coca A, Gillebert TC, Tendera M, Rosei EA, Ambrosioni E, Anker SD, Bauersachs J, Hitij JB, Caulfield M, De Buyzere M, De Geest S, Derumeaux GA, Erdine S, Farsang C, Funck-Brentano C, Gerc V, Germano G, Gielen S, Haller H, Hoes AW, Jordan J, Kahan T, Komajda M, Lovic D, Mahrholdt H, Olsen MH, Ostergren J, Parati G, Perk J, Polonia J, Popescu BA, Reiner Z, Rydén L, Sirenko Y, Stanton A, Struijker-Boudier H, Tsioufis C, van de Borne P, Vlachopoulos C, Volpe M, Wood DA. 2013 ESH/ESC guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2013;34:2159-2219.
13. American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2010 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):S62-69.
14. Kirchhof P, Benussi S, Kotecha D, Ahlsson A, Atar D, Casadei B, Castella M, Diener HC, Heidbuchel H, Hendriks J, Hindricks G, Manolis AS, Oldgren J, Popescu BA, Schotten U, Van Putte B, Vardas P; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with EACTS. Eur Heart J 2016;37:2893-2962.
15. Chen SY, Crivera C, Stokes M, Boulanger L, Schein J. Outcomes associated with comorbid atrial fibrillation and heart failure in Medicare beneficiaries with acute coronary syndrome. BMC Health Serv Res 2014;14:80.
16. Lopes RD, Pieper KS, Horton JR, Al-Khatib SM, Newby LK, Mehta RH, Van de Werf F, Armstrong PW, Mahaffey KW, Harrington RA, Ohman EM, White HD, Wallentin L, Granger CB. Short- and long-term outcomes following atrial fibrillation in patients with acute coronary syndromes with or without ST-segment elevation. Heart 2008;94:867-73.
17. Batra G, Svennblad B, Held C, Jernberg T, Johanson P, Wallentin L, Oldgren J. All types of atrial fibrillation in the setting of myocardial infarction are associated with impaired outcome. Heart 2016;102:926-933.
18. Lopes RD, Elliott LE, White HD, Hochman JS, Van de Werf F, Ardissino D, Nielsen TT, Weaver WD, Widimsky P, Armstrong PW, Granger CB. Antithrombotic therapy and outcomes of patients with atrial fibrillation following primary percutaneous coronary intervention: results from the APEX-AMI trial. Eur Heart J 2009;30:2019-2028.
19. Jabre P, Roger VL, Murad MH, Chamberlain AM, Prokop L, Adnet F, Jouven X. Mortality associated with atrial fibrillation in patients with myocardial infarction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Circulation 2011;123:1587-1593.
20. Luo J, Dai L, Li J, Zhao J, Li Z, Qin X, Li H, Liu B, Wei Y. Risk evaluation of new-onset atrial fibrillation complicating ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: a comparison between GRACE and CHA2DS2-VASc scores. Clin Interv Aging 2018;13:1099-1109.
21. Mitchell LB, Southern DA, Galbraith D, Ghali WA, Knudtson M, Wilton SB; APPROACH investigators. Prediction of stroke or TIA in patients without atrial fibrillation using CHADS2 and CHA2DS2-VASc scores. Heart 2014;100:1524-1530.
22. Olshansky B, Heller EN, Mitchell LB, Chandler M, Slater W, Green M, Brodsky M, Barrell P, Greene HL. Are transthoracic echocardiographic parameters associated with atrial fibrillation recurrence or stroke? Results from the Atrial Fibrillation Follow-Up Investigation of Rhythm Management (AFFIRM) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;45:2026-2033.
23. Modin D, Olsen FJ, Pedersen S, Jensen JS, Biering-Sørensen T. Measures of left atrial function predict incident atrial fibrillation in STEMI patients treated with primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Int J Cardiol 2018;263:1-6.
24. Miyasaka Y, Barnes ME, Gersh BJ, Cha SS, Bailey KR, Abhayaratna WP, Seward JB, Tsang TS. Secular trends in incidence of atrial fibrillation in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1980 to 2000, and implications on the projections for future prevalence. Circulation 2006;114:119-125.
25. Wasmer K, Eckardt L, Breithardt G. Predisposing factors for atrial fibrillation in the elderly. J Geriatr Cardiol 2017;14:179-184.
26. Alonso A, Lopez FL, Matsushita K, Loehr LR, Agarwal SK, Chen LY, Soliman EZ, Astor BC, Coresh J. Chronic kidney disease is associated with the incidence of atrial fibrillation: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. Circulation 2011;123:2946-2953.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 1 (2021): J Teh Univ Heart Ctr|
|Atrial fibrillation ST-elevation myocardial infarction Coronary artery disease|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|