Cardiac Manifestations in Iranian Patients with Behçet’s Disease
Background: Behcet’s disease (BD) is a vasculitis with multisystem and multiorgan involvement. Cardiac involvement in BD is a rare complication with a poor outcome that manifests itself in different forms. In this study, we aimed to investigate cardiac involvement in BD.
Methods: This is a retrospective study based on cardiac manifestations in BD according to the data of the Behçet’s Disease Unit, the Rheumatology Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, from registered patients from 1975 until June 2017. Cardiac manifestations consisted of pericarditis, myocardiopathy, myocardial infarction, stable ischemic heart disease, endomyocardial fibrosis, thrombosis, and valvular and coronary involvement. All the patients’ baseline and demographic data were recorded in a designed questionnaire. The laboratory workups, imaging, and pathological tests were also performed.
Results: We studied 7650 patients with BD, of whom 51% were male. In the entire study population, 47 patients manifested cardiac involvement: valvular involvement in 6.1%, myocardial infarction in 23.4%, stable ischemic heart disease in 20%, pericarditis in 21.3%, intracardiac thrombosis in 2.1%, coronary aneurysm in 2.1%, heart failure in 12.8%, and dilated cardiomyopathy in 4.3%.
Conclusion: The prevalence of cardiac involvement in our patients with BD was 0.6%. A multidisciplinary approach can reduce mortality and morbidity rates. Consequently, we suggest that echocardiography and other cardiac diagnostic tests be routinely considered for early diagnosis and subsequent treatment.
2. Jagadeesh LY, Wajed J, Sangle SR, Carr-White G, D'Cruz DP. Cardiac complications of Behcet's disease. Clin Rheumatol 2014;33:1185-1187.
3. Zhu YL, Wu QJ, Guo LL, Fang LG, Yan XW, Zhang FC, Zhang X. The clinical characteristics and outcome of intracardiac thrombus and aortic valvular involvement in Behçet's disease: an analysis of 20 cases. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2012;30:S40-45.
4. Davatchi F, Sadeghi Abdollahi B, Shams H, Shahram F, Nadji A, Chams-Davatchi C, Faezi T, Akhlaghi M, Ghodsi Z, Ashofteh F, Mohtasham N. Combination of pulse cyclophosphamide and azathioprine in ocular manifestations of Behcet's disease: longitudinal study of up to 10 years. Int J Rheum Dis 2014;17:444-452.
5. Demirelli S, Degirmenci H, Inci S, Arisoy A. Cardiac manifestations in Behcet's disease. Intractable Rare Dis Res 2015;4:70-75.
6. Schmitz-Huebner U, Knop J. Evidence for an endothelial cell dysfunction in association with Behçet's disease. Thromb Res 1984;34:277-285.
7. Geri G, Wechsler B, Thi Huong DL, Isnard R, Piette JC, Amoura Z, Resche-Rigon M, Cacoub P, Saadoun D. Spectrum of cardiac lesions in Behçet disease: a series of 52 patients and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 2012;91:25-34.
8. Veilleux SP, O'Connor K, Couture C, Pagé S, Voisine P, Poirier P, Dubois M, Sénéchal M. What the cardiologist should know about cardiac involvement in Behçet disease. Can J Cardiol 2015;31:1485-1488.
9. Yahalom M, Bloch L, Suleiman K, Rosh B, Turgeman Y. Cardiovascular Involvement in Behçet Disease: Clinical Implications. Int J Angiol 2016;25:e84-e86.
10. International Team for the Revision of the International Criteria for Behçet's Disease (ITR-ICBD). The International Criteria for Behçet's Disease (ICBD): a collaborative study of 27 countries on the sensitivity and specificity of the new criteria. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2014;28:338-347.
11. Gürkan U, Kaya A, Tatlısu MA, Avşar S. A case report of coronary artery aneurysm in a patient with Behçet's disease. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 2014;42:651-654.
12. Kechida M, Jomaa W, Maatouk M. A case of Behçet disease myocarditis documented using cardiac magnetic resonance imaging. Can J Cardiol 2020;36:1554.e9-1554.e11.
13. Cocco G, Gasparyan AY. Behçet's disease: an insight from a cardiologist's point of view. Open Cardiovasc Med J 2010;4:63-70.
14. Marzban M, Mandegar MH, Karimi A, Abbasi K, Movahedi N, Navabi MA, Abbasi SH, Moshtaghi N. Cardiac and great vessel involvement in "Behcet's disease". J Card Surg 2008;23:765-768.
15. Hibi T, Hirohata S, Kikuchi H, Tateishi U, Sato N, Ozaki K, Kondo K, Ishigatsubo Y. Infliximab therapy for intestinal, neurological, and vascular involvement in Behcet disease: efficacy, safety, and pharmacokinetics in a multicenter, prospective, open-label, single-arm phase 3 study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016;95:e3863.
16. Chajek T, Fainaru M. Behçet's disease. Report of 41 cases and a review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1975;54:179-196.
17. Gürler A, Boyvat A, Türsen U. Clinical manifestations of Behçet's disease: an analysis of 2147 patients. Yonsei Med J 1997;38:423-427.
18. Emmi G, Bettiol A, Silvestri E, Di Scala G, Becatti M, Fiorillo C, Prisco D. Vascular Behçet's syndrome: an update. Intern Emerg Med 2019;14:645-652.
19. Balta S, Balta I, Ozturk C, Celik T, Iyisoy A. Behçet's disease and risk of vascular events. Curr Opin Cardiol 2016;31:451-457.
20. Hassikou H, Bono W, Bahiri R, Abir S, Benomar M, Hassouni NH. Vascular involvement in Behçet's disease. Two case reports. Joint Bone Spine 2002;69:416-418.
21. Owlia MB, Mehrpoor G. Behcet's disease: new concepts in cardiovascular involvements and future direction for treatment. ISRN Pharmacol 2012;2012:760484.
22. Mirone L, Altomonte L, Ferlisi EM, Zoli A, Magaró M. Behçet's disease and cardiac arrhythmia. Clin Rheumatol 1997;16:99-100.
23. Aytemir K, Ozer N, Aksoyek S, Ozcebe O, Kabakci G, Oto A. Increased QT dispersion in the absence of QT prolongation in patients with Behcet's disease and ventricular arrhythmias. Int J Cardiol. 1998;67:171-175.
24. Eryol NK, Topsakal R, Abaci A, Oğuzhan A. A case of atrioventricular complete block due to Behçet's disease. Jpn Heart J 2002;43:697-701.
25. Lee E, Choi EK, Jung JH, Han KD, Lee SR, Cha MJ, Lim WH, Oh S. Increased risk of atrial fibrillation in patients with Behçet's disease: a nationwide population-based study. Int J Cardiol 2019;292:106-111.
26. Hidayet Ş, Demir V, Turan Y, Gürel G, Taşolar MH. Evaluation of Tp-e interval, Tp-e/QT ratio, and Tp-e/QTc ratio in patients with Behçet's disease. Anatol J Cardiol 2019;22:85-90.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 3 (2021): J Teh Univ Heart Ctr|
|Behçet’s syndrome Cardiovascular diseases Iran|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|