Longitudinal Stent Deformation in Undeployed Stents: A Case Series
Longitudinal stent deformation (LSD) is a recently reported problem with newer generation stents. The modification of stent materials and designs to make them more deliverable and conformable, as well as a focused approach in retaining their radial strength, has compromised longitudinal strength in currently available stents. Additionally, enhanced stent radiopacity, improved fluoroscopy, and heightened awareness have led to an increased incidence rate of the potentially under-recognized problem of LSD. Although originally described in deployed stents, LSD is being recognized in undeployed stents too. With available data to suggest an increased rate of adverse cardiac events like stent thrombosis and in-stent restenosis with LSD in deployed stents, an attempt to retrieve an undeployed deformed stent appears justified. We report 3 cases of LSD in undeployed stents and discuss its recognition. We also discuss the retrieval and visual inspection of retrieved stents and the simultaneous completion of coronary interventions via a double guide technique.
2. Rhee TM, Park KW, Lee JM, Lee MS, Jeon KH, Kang HJ, Koo BK, Rhew JY, Cha KS, Bae JH, Han KR, Park SH, Park WJ, Rha SW, Oh SK, Kwon HM, Seung KB, Ahn T, Kim SH, Kim HS. Predictors and long-term clinical outcome of longitudinal stent deformation: insights from pooled analysis of Korean multicenter drug-eluting stent cohort. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2017;10:e005518.
3. Barragan P, Garitey V, Mouneimne K, Rieu R. Longitudinal compression behaviour of coronary stents: a bench-top comparative study. EuroIntervention 2014;9:1454-1462.
4. Yue X, Guo J, Zhang J, Cao C, Zhang Z, Shen D, Tang J, Zhang J. Evaluation of mechanical performances of stents with 38 mm length in long lesion. Biomed Res Int 2020;2020:2594161.
5. Vijayvergiya R, Sharma P, Gupta A, Goyal P, Panda P. Longitudinal stent deformation during coronary bifurcation stenting. Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2016;17:143-145.
6. Pitney M, Pitney K, Jepson N, Friedman D, Nguyen-Dang T, Matthews J, Giles R, Taylor D. Major stent deformation/pseudofracture of 7 Crown Endeavor/Micro Driver stent platform: incidence and causative factors. EuroIntervention 2011;7:256-262.
7. Daoyuan Si, Yaliang Tong, Bo Yu, Yuquan He, Guohui Liu. In-stent restenosis and longitudinal stent deformation: a case report. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2020;20:24.
8. Guler A, Guler Y, Acar E, Aung SM, Efe SC, Kilicgedik A, Karabay CY, Barutcu S, Tigen MK, Pala S, İzgi A, Esen AM, Kirma C. Clinical, angiographic and procedural characteristics of longitudinal stent deformation. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016;32:1163-1170.
9. Mamas MA, Williams PD. Longitudinal stent deformation: insights on mechanisms, treatments and outcomes from the Food and Drug Administration Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience database. EuroIntervention 2012;8:196-204.
10. Cheng ST, Su CW, Liau CS, Ko YL. Accordion stent deformation upon retrieval of a side-branch protective guidewire. Acta Cardiol Sin 2015;31:568-571.
11. Trehan VK, Jain G, Kathuria S, Pandit BN. Retrieving a deformed stent during transradial intervention: an alternative femoral approach using guide catheter shortening. Indian Heart J 2013;65:323-326.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 3 (2021): J Teh Univ Heart Ctr|
|Stents Coronary Artery Disease Angioplasty|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|