Stent Implantation May Fail Sometimes in Coronary Complications: Extension of an Iatrogenic Left Main Coronary Artery Hematoma
Coronary artery perforations and dissections, associated with cardiac tamponade or acute vessel closure, are life-threatening complications of percutaneous coronary intervention. In some cases, subepicardial hematomas could occur and compress the vessel. A 59-year-old woman was admitted to our hospital with chest pain and was diagnosed with non–ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Coronary angiography showed the total occlusion of the diagonal artery. During the intervention, left main coronary artery dissection and intramural hematoma occurred as coronary complications. The left main coronary artery was stented; however, the extension of the hematoma through the ostium of the left anterior descending artery caused further complications. The patient underwent an urgent coronary artery bypass graft surgery and was discharged on the seventh postoperative day.
2. El-Mawardy M, Abdel-Wahab M, Richardt G. Extension of a coronary intramural hematoma as a complication of early percutaneous coronary intervention after thrombolytic therapy. Case Rep Med 2013;2013:218389.
3. Maehara A, Mintz GS, Bui AB, Castagna MT, Walter OR, Pappas C, Pinnow EE, Pichard AD, Satler LF, Waksman R, Suddath WO, Laird JR, Jr, Kent KM, Weissman NJ. Incidence, morphology, angiographic findings, and outcomes of intramural hematomas after percutaneous coronary interventions: an intravascular ultrasound study. Circulation 2002;105:2037-242.
4. Liu X, Tsujita K, Maehara A, Mintz GS, Weisz G, Dangas GD, Lansky AJ, Kreps EM, Rabbani LE, Collins M, Stone GW, Moses JW, Mehran R, Leon MB. Intravascular ultrasound assessment of the incidence and predictors of edge dissections after drug-eluting stent implantation. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2009;2:997-1004.
5. Djenić N, Dzudović B, Romanović R, Ratković N, Jović Z, Djukić B, Spasić M, Stojković S, Obradović S. Iatrogenic dissection of the left main coronary artery during elective diagnostic procedures--A report on three cases. Vojnosanit Pregl 2016;73:284-287.
6. Yamamoto K, Sakakura K, Momomura SI, Fujita H. Conservative management of severe coronary artery hematoma and dissection following stent implantation. Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2019;20:347-350.
7. Tarbiat M, Safarpoor G. Emergency Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery for Iatrogenic Left Main Coronary Artery Dissection. J Tehran Heart Cent 2015;10:215-218.
|Issue||Vol 17 No 4 (2022): J Teh Univ Heart Ctr|
|Percutaneous Coronary Dissection Complication Intramural hematoma Myocardial infarction|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|